Friday, May 12, 2006

Now that's better!

Here is my baby booga bag after ripping it out (yes, the whole thing!) and starting from the outside of the second skein. The color progression looks a lot more natural, and I am quite pleased with how it looks. I am now knitting the I-cord. I will wait and see how much yarn I need for the I-cord before I bind of the top of the bag. As it is, it is a few rows short. I would rather the bag be a little short than having too-short handles. I really like that the handles are felted separately then attached so I have more control over their length.

I finally got on the ball to make a present for my friend's daughter that just turned... I think it's 10. The sad thing is that K's birthday was a month ago! I'm sorry! I procrastinated and waited until I could get this book from the library so I could base this little purse off of the gift bag pattern inside. I also wanted to use two colors of yarn, do you recognize the purple stripe? Does it even look purple in the picture? Well, it's supposed to be. Sorry about that!! Here are before and after pictures, with a play scissors-thing from the kids' medical kit for reference.

Nearly every time I knit now, the girl-child always wants to play with my needles and yarn. She wants to wrap the yarn around the needle, or (most of the time) just stabs the yarn with the needle. I've tried several times to convince her the yarn and needles are mine! and that she really doesn't believe me either when I tell her that I really don't need help!

So... these are for her.

The cheapest pink acrylic yarn I could find (Caron's Simply Soft, which is my favorite acrylic), and some blue size 8 Red Heart Starters knitting needles. (Yay for AC Moore and 40% off coupons!!) Hopefully this will get her out of my way a little. Hubby wanted to know if I was going to teach her how to knit. Dear, she's only 4 1/2! I told him that when she started watching what my hands were doing rather than just playing with the yarn and needles, I would start trying to teach her. I am hoping this doesn't happen before she's 7.

Here is a present for meeeee!!! Two skeins of Lorna's Laces in the Happy Valley colorway, and a mini Kacha-Kacha. My LYS sells out of this yarn really fast, so I was hoping that there would still be some left, a week after the store owner called me to let me know it was in. (Isn't she nice??) I am still somewhere around the heels on my current socks (doing two at once on dpn's, toe up), so these will be stashed. I swore I wasn't going to stash yarn. Well... here it starts!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool gifts for you! I am thinking of starting some LL socks soon. Owen loves to mess with my yarn and pretends he is knitting. I would love for him to get into it too.

8:17 AM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

I think those are great gifts! I love the color of your booga bag! So pretty!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I usually use the 6" Clover bamboo needles for socks (anything longer seems to get in my way). These Bryspun that I am using now are like 5". I like knitting with them but may need to invest in one of those double needle protectors I've seen recently. I'm a little worried about the stitiches slipping off when they are stuck in my bag.

By the way, I taught my daughter to knit with needles when she was about 5 (she's 6 now). She first learned finger knitting which you may want to try with your daughter. They can make a long chain - a leash for their stuffed animals or a bracelet/necklace. Then I moved her up to one of those things that makes kind of like i-cord. Can't think of the name of it but they manipulate loops over each other on this tool using a hook. I even introduced her to a spindle for spinning.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Nettie said...

Hey Dye-o-rama pal! I love everything you sent. Thank you so much for making this so much fun, and thanks for making my first swap so great. And I should let you know that I was wrong when I guessed who you were I guess a lot of us have kids around the same age. Don't forget to tell me what you want to study at school. = )

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home